Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Waiting to be ready VS the reality… You were born ready!

I haven't been posting enough.. As per usual.. So lets get this party started...




How often have I said, I have goals, things I want to achieve, even maybe things God has called me to do but...... I'm not ready yet. Have you ever said that? Oh yes I would love to _________ But I'm just not quite ready. You can fill in the blank with something you feel you should do but don't because of not being ready.  

What are we really waiting for? Maybe to be comfortable, for fear to go away first..

Now if you're not ready to start your car because the keys aren't in the ignition yet, that's a logical need for readiness, and the solution is simple.. Put the keys in the ignition and then you are ready. But if the keys are in the ignition and you just aren't "feeling" ready to start the car because of fear..  That's the kind of "Not ready" I want to talk about and I think it's pretty common. It stops us from achieving some amazing things we are meant to achieve because we have fear, apprehensions and doubt. We justify not doing because we aren't feeling ready.

What does it really mean to be ready?

I Googled "being ready.", and what I found was very interesting indeed. One of the first hits was this..... Check it out and maybe Google it yourself.
 
Main entry:  COME
part of speech: verb 
definition: advance, approach
synonyms:  Appear, arrive, be accessible, be at disposal, be handy, be obtainable, BE READY....


I love the fact that when I Googled BE READY the word  COME came up. First it was crazy to me because I knew Jesus said this a lot.  Instantly I knew looking into this was linking me to things God wanted me to know. Already I had found out that BE READY was a synonym for COME. 

So it begins......

Could being ready to serve God have something to do with Jesus calling us?
But when Jesus calls us don't we have to choose whether we are ready or not?  Whether we are prepared because If we aren't prepared it could be VERY VERY scary!

Maybe? 

But maybe Jesus expects that when he says "COME." we will BE READY, be obtainable, be handy,  to quit making excuses, break free of fears and live out our faith. 

I can think of a bible story that seems to fit well with this.

Let's look at when Jesus Walked on the Water and told Peter to, "come." 

Matthew 14: 25-33
  • 25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
    27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
    28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
    29 “Come,” he said.
    Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
    31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
    32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
It's interesting to see that Peter in some ways was testing the situation by saying, “Lord, if it’s you, tell me to come to you on the water.”. I also don't think that it's wrong for us to make sure it is Jesus before we follow. To literally say, "Lord if it is you tell me to come." might be a good practice to get into. But once we know it is Jesus and he tells us to come, are we really prepared for what that means or are we going to revert back to the old, "I'm not ready yet."

We can take a lot out of Peter's courage and I think we should be more like him, he wasn't being foolish, he was being obedient to Jesus. The other disciples were there as well and had the same opportunity to jump out of the boat, out of their comfort zones but they certainly weren't willing to do it. Peter had heard the call from his master and teacher, Jesus, and it was enough.

I want to be able to say that.. I heard the call from Jesus, and it was enough. 

It seems to me it wasn't about him being ready or not ready. When Jesus said come, he went. On rough water no less.. 

The story doesn't end with Jesus and peter dancing together on the water though. And maybe when we are obedient and follow Jesus the outcome will be similar. Note that Peter didn't shout to Jesus, "Lord, promise me I won't sink before I get out of the boat." That would maybe help some of us be a little more ready. A guarantee of success.. Maybe Peter wouldn't have liked Jesus' response. "No Peter, if you walk out to me, you will sink. You're faith isn't quite strong enough."

The story isn't about success or failure though. It is about faith and obedience. And because Peter had those things, look at his testimony and the strength that this moment between him and Jesus has built for generations of Christians.

So does this all mean when we follow Jesus we might sink, be afraid, fail?  Read again what happened to Peter.  
30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

So after taking the step of faith and obeying Jesus, he began to fear. I think we have all thought to ourselves, "What have I gotten myself into?" Probably going through Peter's mind at that moment.

Maybe fear is part of it? And maybe sinking is too? 

So the story didn't end with Peter and Jesus dancing the night away on the water but.. It didn't end with Peter drowning either.. I'm sure for a moment Peter thought he was done, felt desperate and stupid for getting out of the boat, but Jesus was right there.. Take comfort in that..  Follow Jesus when he says "Come." and don't worry about the outcome. Because even if fear over takes you, or a storm, or an angry person, or sickness.. ALL you need to do is cry out, “Lord, save me!” and like the verse goes on to say.
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

Immediately!!  Jesus didn't wait for a minute to teach Peter a lesson. The lesson had already taken place. Jesus is calling you, Jesus is also there, ready to pick you up.. JESUS HAS IT COVERED! All we need to do is obey. 

Do you have the faith to not worry whether you are ready or not? To just obey your master and teacher. If you do, I have a feeling you also better be ready to build an amazing testimony for Jesus!


Let's also remember that sinking and being picked up by Jesus glorifies him as well.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.


Even if we follow Jesus and sink we can say, "I stepped out in faith, I was weak, but Jesus was strong and I am still here. Despite the storm, the waves, because of his faithfulness to me, his love, his strength, I am here. Thank you Jesus!"

The real truth of the matter remains. Most Christians have no desire to walk on the water when there is a perfectly good boat anywhere nearby. But maybe.... Maybe I would if Jesus could promise me a successful, peaceful experience with no fear.. Until then I'm just not ready, until then I will stay in the safety of the boat.. 

WAKE UP!! Hear the call of Jesus on your life and answer that call! 

In Christ, we are BORN READY! 

and Remember
you aren't alone on the water.

Philippians 4:13
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Joel. I really needed this encouragement to continue stepping out in faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want more - thanks, Joel!

    ReplyDelete